Facebook video chat is fairly a new addition to Facebook. However, is why you might not see the video camera icon at the top of each chat window on your mobile phone. Although, the Fbook video chat is actually powered by Skype. Furthermore, Skype is an internet telephone service. www.facebook.com offers video chat because they know that nothing is better than a face-to-face conversation.
Facebook Video Chat
Therefore, if you see the video icon, you can initiate Video Chat with your friends. If you don’t see a video camera icon in your chat windows, then go to Facebook video calling page.
However, you can click Get started, but you aren’t prompted to do the video calling set up until you actually try to initiate a call. Therefore, once you try to start your first call, you will be prompted to do your initial setup.
Furthermore, download the file to runs on your computer before you can continue. Then, if they don’t have it setup, you have to wait for your friends to set up video calling too. However, if you and your recipient have video calling setup, a popup window appears when you initiate a call as it rings on the other end.
Also, once you can see each other, the call is pretty effortless. According to Facebook F&A, the video is a direct peer-to-peer connection. More so, you won’t have to worry about a server overload.
How to Video Chat on Facebook
Basically, before a Facebook user can access the video chatting feature, they most follow these steps below.
- Open a conversation with the person you want to video chat with. Therefore, make sure to open a conversation with a single person. You cannot currently start a video chat with a group.
- Tap the video chat button at the top of the conversation. Particularly, this will begin calling the other person. If the button is greyed out or not present, the other person is not able to receive a video call this time.
- Wait for the other person to pick up. Therefore, the recipient will have a notification that they are receiving a video call. They will be able to answer using a messenger or the Facebook website and a webcam.
- Press the camera swap button to switch between the front and rear camera. Tap this button during the video chat to switch what camera messenger displays.
How to Video Chat on Facebook Using the Facebook Website
- Connect a webcam to your computer [if necessary]. Therefore, if your computer doesn’t have a webcam connected, you will need to install one before you can video chat.
- Open the chat menu on the Facebook website. Click the chat menu in the lower-right corner to open the chat menu it isn’t open already.
Particularly, you will need to use Chrome, Firefox, or Opera. However, video calling is not supported in internet Explorer, Safari, or Edge.
Facebook Group Video Chat
- Select the person you want to video chat with. You can select people you commonly chat within the list. Also, you can search through all of your friends by typing the name into the field at the bottom of the list.
- Click the Facebook video chat button. The button looks like a silhouette of a video camera. A new window will appear for the video chat. Particularly, if you are not able to click the video chat button, the recipient is not able to receive video calls.
- Allow Facebook to access your webcam. The process for this will vary depending on the browser you are using. Generally, you will need to click “Allow” or “Share” to allow Facebook to access your webcam.
- Wait for the other person to pick up. The recipient will be notified either through the Facebook website or in the message app, depending on their online status. If they choose to answer, your video chat will begin.
Facebook video chat currently supports chat with a single person at a time. Furthermore Facebook plans to add Group video chat in the future. Also, guide users on How to use the Group Video chat.