Are you too previous to be employed?
Are you too previous to be employed? Do you ever marvel if you happen to too previous to land one other job? Or that your age is a barrier to what you actually need to do?
Now, these of you who already know me will know I get on my excessive horse about ageism within the office and the way I imagine we’re NEVER TOO OLD to reinvent our careers. Sure, that’s proper – we’re NEVER TOO OLD to be the particular person we had been born to be.
You’ll additionally know that I assist professionals to embrace their skill no matter age (sure, it’s not simply the over 50’s who’re involved about ageism, simply this week I spoke with a shopper who is anxious about being 41 and feeling ‘too previous’!)
I lately delivered a webinar for over 55’s for 55/Redefined and upon following them on their social channels was impressed by one in every of their posts about Colleen Heidemann, who’s now 73 and began modelling on the age of 69.
She is completely gorgeous, stuffed with power and I need to be like her after I develop up (only for the file I’m 63 and don’t have any intention of slowing down for a very long time but!)
The hyperlink to their put up on Instagram that captured my consideration and pleasure is in my shownotes at janejacksoncoach.com/podcast … you see Colleen Heidemann in motion and also you’ll see she’s carrying a t-shirt with the slogan: OLD IS THE NEW BLACK!
The New Black
As my pricey pal and creator of ‘Ageing Fearlessly’ Karen Sander says, “Ageing is inevitable however GROWING OLD is a selection’. So I’d prefer to understand how do YOU outline ‘too previous’?
The truth is, I’d prefer to ask you, “Too previous for what?”
For example, if you happen to’re over 30, over 40, over 50, over 60, over 70 are you too previous to:
To contribute your years of expertise and data to learn somebody who’s issues you may assist to unravel?
To be thought of as a person fairly than an age-bracket?
Are you too previous to study one thing new?
Or to attempt one thing totally different?
And TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT?
Sadly, in accordance with a 2021 report by the Australian Human Rights Fee, age discrimination stays a major subject within the office, affecting each job seekers and staff.
Listed here are some statistics on ageism within the office in Australia:
- Round 27% of employees over the age of fifty reported experiencing age discrimination within the office.
- Older job seekers usually tend to expertise long-term unemployment, with the typical length of unemployment for employees aged 55 and over being round 71 weeks.
- Older employees usually tend to be retrenched or have their contracts terminated, they usually discover it more difficult to safe new job alternatives than youthful employees.
and this one shocked me:
Regardless of being a protected attribute underneath Australian regulation, solely 56% of employees are conscious that age discrimination is unlawful.
So how can we overcome ageism within the office? Listed here are some methods:
- Upskilling: By staying present with technological developments and trade traits, we mature-age professionals can reveal our continued relevance within the office. [By the way I’m very excited about how rapidly AI is enhancing our lives – some see it as a threat, I am finding ways to use it to help in a myriad of ways in my life].
- Networking: Keep related! Don’t draw back from reaching out and constructing connections inside your trade (and new industries) and staying engaged with skilled organisations can assist to broaden your job search and hold you knowledgeable about new alternatives. [I know many feel that ‘networking’ is schmoozing and a bit ‘icky’ but if you think of it as an opportunity to learn about someone else, to offer help, and to gain feedback and advice then that’s not so bad is it?]
- Highlighting transferable expertise: Emphasise your transferable expertise, you might have many which are related throughout totally different jobs and industries, and create sturdy accomplishment statements that reveal your worth to potential employers and in addition spotlight the RESULTS you obtain. [If you need help to do this, you’ll find it in my Career Success Program.]
- Addressing unfavourable stereotypes: Mature-age professionals can assist to dispel unfavourable stereotypes about ageing within the office by being open to new concepts, new methods of doing factor, new know-how, asking questions and being genuinely inquisitive about studying from professionals of any age. [And just because you are of a ‘certain age’ it doesn’t mean you have to dress like an ‘oldie’ or ‘one of the greys’ – dress to express your personality and professionalism!]
To beat ageism it requires a collective effort from employers, staff, and society as a complete.
I’d prefer to ask you: How are you serving to to advertise a tradition of inclusivity and respect for all generations? What else can we do to create a extra equitable and age-diverse office?
Let’s hold the dialog going and I’d love you to ship me a message on LinkedIn or share a put up of you in motion displaying your power and enthusiasm no matter age and tag me so I do know!
Psssst … right here’s just a little recognized secret … on the ripe age of 40 I choreographed and carried out in a musical in regards to the ultimate days of Bugis Avenue in Singapore. We opened at Raffles Resort and acquired standing ovations every night time (and fairly scathing critiques from the critics!) and it was SO MUCH FUN!
My dancers had been all of their late teenagers and twenties and all of us had the very best time collectively. That’s simply to spotlight that we’re NEVER TOO OLD! And if each technology embraced what different generations add to their life expertise. Only for enjoyable, right here’s the hyperlink to a short snippet of our Finalé on YouTube!
Till subsequent time … keep comfortable, wholesome and hold an open thoughts!
The put up Are You Too Previous To Be Employed? appeared first on Jane Jackson Profession.